As you have come to realise, Mother’s Day is not so far away. With little time up your sleeve to prepare an impressive gift, we are coming to the rescue with a few rum based ideas for the Mum’s that love to eat, drink and be merry!
Rum’s certainly not the first thing that springs to mind when you think gift ideas for Mother’s Day, but just hear us out. Not only are these rum based recipes and cocktails guaranteed to make you the favourite child, they will also have you making the most of your time in isolation.
First things first, a little background on rum. Rum is produced from by-products of sugarcane and is claimed to be one of the oldest distilled spirits after originating in Barbados in 1650. It soon spread across the globe, becoming huge in South America and the Northeast region of United States.
When it comes to rum varieties, there are five leading styles which include light, dark, gold, aged and spiced. Light rums are better suited to making cocktails as they are sweet and provide a subtle flavour, whereas gold, dark, aged and spiced styles are better all-purpose rums as they provide deeper flavour profiles.
Bake it out
Like most ladies, there is a good chance your Mum loves all things sweet and with so many delicious rum-filled recipes on the web, you’d be crazy not to give one a crack. From mini pineapple upside-down cakes with rum caramel sauce curated by Martha Stewart to rum infused banana bread, a little baking goes a long way! We’ve shortlisted a handful that we think are totally worthwhile.
- Epicurious’ Coconut Rum Cake: If Mum loves the flavouring of coconut, then try out Epicurious’ one-bowl coconut rum cake recipe that requires the addition of dark rum to provide a subtly rum flavouring.
- Martha Stewart’s Mini Pineapple Upside-down Cakes with Rum Caramel Sauce: Mum will become your biggest fan after one bite of these individual pineapple upside-down cakes which are served in a pool of rum caramel sauce.
- Taste’s Rum & Raisin Ice Cream: This no churn rum & raisin ice cream recipe is perfect for those who do not own an ice cream churner and it’s claimed to taste better than store bought ice cream. Winning!
- Dish’s Banana Rum Crêpes with Ice Cream: Seeing as going out for Mother’s Day is off limits this year, how about preparing breakfast or brunch in bed? These banana rum crêpes are quick, so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time with Mum.
- Food52’s Caramel Rum Banana Bread: Banana bread has taken off again thanks to iso-mode, but here is a unique variation of the crowd-favourite that Mum will love with her morning coffee.
Shake things up with cocktails
If baking isn’t your forte, shake things up by creating classic rum-based cocktails and maybe even dabble in creating a few new concoctions. Given there are a variety of rums available on the market, this is your chance to explore different flavour combinations and truly wow Mum!
Whether you are going down the path of creating classics or new drinks, here are five Redearth Hotel approved cocktails:
- Gourmet Traveller’s Raspberry and Mint Mojito: Gourmet Traveller’s fruity take on the old Mojito calls for white rum. It is refreshing and a safe option for fussy Mums.
- Australian Bartenders’ Side-Colada: What do you get when you cross a Sidecar and a Piña Colada? A Side-Colada of course.
- The Spruce Eat’s May Day: Think rum-spiked slushies brimming with fresh fruit. Brunch time cocktails for Mum?
- The Happier Home Maker’s Planter’s Punch: Take Mum to the tropics with this must-try classic that combines light and dark rum.
- Steve the Bartender’s Long Island Iced Tea: They are delicious, but be warned, go easy on the Long Island Iced Tea as they can be strong.
Now, when it comes to purchasing rum for your cooking recipes or cocktails, it’s always best to seek expert advice. At Super Cellars Drive Thru, located next to Redearth Hotel, they stock a wide variety of international and domestic produced rums. Their team of knowledgeable staff can also help you with rum based cocktail suggestions.
While you’re in store at Super Cellars Drive Thru, be sure to check out Bundaberg Rum’s Limited Edition Regeneration Rum. All sales from these bottles will help WWF Australia deploy emergency funds to care for our injured Australian wildlife, and now the fires have cleared, help restore the forest homes our koala, kangaroos and other animal have lost. Whether you plan to cook with it or provide the bottle as a gift to Mum, all funds contribute to a great cause.
Super Cellars Drive Thru
16-20 West St,
Mount Isa QLD 4825
Monday – Sunday: 10am – 10pm
(07) 4749 8889
Image Credit: McCormicks